San José del Cabo, México. The PUP Consortium participated in a variety of ways at the most recent international interpretation conference sponsored by the National Association for Interpretation (March 19-23), the leading association for heritage interpreters. Here are some of the more prominent ways that PUP participated.
- PUP advisor Dr. Sam Ham gave the opening keynote address. NAI President, Jay Miller, mentioned that he worked with PUP and that there would be a PUP meeting at the end of day one (top left).
- PUP director Jon Kohl with support from Ham and PUP Technical Service Member Marisol Mayorga presented an overview of interpretation in Latin America and PUP initiatives to promote interpretation in the region.
- PUP director Jon Kohl gave a presentation about holistic planning based on his and Dr. Stephen McCool’s (PUP board director) book, The Future Has Other Plans.
- Marisol Mayorga and Mariela Garcia, both of Costa Rica, presented on the state of interpretation in Mesoamerica especially Costa Rica. Marisol also sponsored a poster presentation along with her absentee advisor Dr. Ted Cable on her doctoral research about visitor perception of authenticity at Costa Rican World Heritage Sites
- Kohl, Mayorga, and Ham sponsored an information meeting about PUP that presented initiatives and created a space to discuss possible collaborations with Mexican participants (bottom).